Monday, February 20, 2012

The little desk that could

I'm so excited that I could barely stand the wait to post this.  Life delayed me a little bit but I dusted off and I'm here to report that I FOUND it!  What do you mean what?  The desk of course; the vein of my existence since having to have the one I saw on Pinterest. So, before I show it to you, let me remind you that this is the GLORIOUS desk that inspired me (I know, I know it's FABULOUS).  It's from AllThingsThrifty.com.
xxx
and here is the one I found:  


I think I can hear what you are thinking from here... work with me people!  Repeat after me I-M-A-G-I-N-A-T-I-O-N !

Let me first say that it was two cities over but the guy who was selling it offered to deliver it for FREE if I waited a couple of HOURS (thank you, Jimmy!)  as he had to come down this way to make another delivery... woo hoo!   I couldn't believe my luck.  Although pricier than I had anticipated (it turns out antique desks run quite a bit higher than dressers not to mention I haven't found one since so they are a rare find), two hours later, I met my new love... no, not Jimmy, the desk for Pete's sake!  The top was a different finish and glossier than the rest of it and I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to paint it but hey, what were the chances that God would put this amazing piece of furniture in my life only to have it not turn out the way I wanted?!  Don't answer that!   


Yeeyh, it's almost EXACTLY like the one I had seen in the pic... like almost to the tee... don't you think?  I know, I know, you likely can't see it yet.  But trust me, it is.  I wish its curves were more like the inspiration piece but still I love it.  


So, here's what I've done so far:
1.  Brushed it down with soap and water (it reaked at first) and let dry.  With our sunny weather, it took no time at all.
2.  Sanded it with 220 sandpaper square.
3.  Wiped it with a damp cloth, and again let dry.
4.  Primed it with Kilz Spray.
5.  Sanded it again, and wiped it with a tack cloth.

Here's my progress so far:  

Doesn't it look TONS better already?  I bet you're excited to see the final product.  {tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies...}

What's next you ask (you did ask, right?)?  Two coats of Krylon WATERMELON paint... which I found at our local (well kinda far really but well worth the trip if you ask me) Walmart.  That's right.  I am spray painting this baby.  It's so much easier than the brush method and turns out great!

I should have the finished product pics to you by the next post, and trust me, I'll be spending many sleepless nights until I see it to completion.  I'm so looking forward to it.  Aren't you?

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to like the Watermelon color even better than the insperation color. Looking forward to the finished product.

    ReplyDelete